Saturday, January 7, 2017

Top 16 of 2016

This post is so overdue but I'm so busy. Opening night for my show was last night and I was terrified... but it went well!

Lets start at #5- Reawakened and Recreated by Colleen Houck

When seventeen-year-old Lilliana Young enters the Metropolitan Museum of Art one morning during spring break, the last thing she expects to find is a live Egyptian prince with godlike powers, who has been reawakened after a thousand years of mummification.

And she really can't imagine being chosen to aid him in an epic quest that will lead them across the globe to find his brothers and complete a grand ceremony that will save mankind.

But fate has taken hold of Lily, and she, along with her sun prince, Amon, must travel to the Valley of the Kings, raise his brothers, and stop an evil, shape-shifting god named Seth from taking over the world.

Reawakened (Reawakened, #1)Recreated (Reawakened, #2)


I absolutly love Colleen Houcks writing. She is absolutly fantastic, although I do like Tigers Curse more then this new series of hers I still love it. There are some slow spots but overall I highly recommend this book. And i can't wait for the third book to come out (and the fifth book or Tigers Curse becauses shes writting another one!)

#4- And I Darken by Kiersten White
No one expects a princess to be brutal. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.

But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.

And I Darken (The Conquerer's Saga, #1)


I got this book from NetGalley and I have to admit the only reason I requested it was because a... friend (at least I think so...) wanted to read it. I love this book, the cover is beautiful and the plot line is so intriguing. I can't wait for the next book to come out!

#3- Girl Out of Water by Laura Silverman and The Homecoming by Stacie Ramey
Girl Out of Water
Anise Sawyer plans to spend every minute of summer with her friends: surfing, chowing down on fish tacos drizzled with wasabi balsamic vinegar, and throwing bonfires that blaze until dawn. But when a serious car wreck leaves her aunt, a single mother of three, with two broken legs, it forces Anise to say goodbye for the first time to Santa Cruz, the waves, her friends, and even a kindling romance, and fly with her dad to Nebraska for the entire summer. Living in Nebraska isn’t easy. Anise spends her days caring for her three younger cousins in the childhood home of her runaway mom, a wild figure who’s been flickering in and out of her life since birth, appearing for weeks at a time and then disappearing again for months, or even years, without a word. 

Complicating matters is Lincoln, a one-armed, charismatic skater who pushes Anise to trade her surfboard for a skateboard. As Anise draws closer to Lincoln and takes on the full burden and joy of her cousins, she loses touch with her friends back home – leading her to one terrifying question: will she turn out just like her mom and spend her life leaving behind the ones she loves

The Homecoming
Forced to return to his estranged family, John discovers how hard it is to truly go home.

It's been a year since John lost his girlfriend, Leah, to suicide. Living with his uncle keeps his mind from the tragedy and his screwed up family-until he gets into trouble and a judge sends him back home. With a neglectful mother and abusive brother, John's homecoming is far from happy.

As he tries to navigate and repair the relationships he abandoned years ago, Emily, the girl next door, is the only bright spot. She's sweet and smart and makes him think his heart may finally be healing. But tragedy isn't far away, and John must soon face an impossible decision: save his family or save himself.

Girl Out of Water

The Homecoming

I actually like The Homecoming more but I have two more books and these two are pretty close. The Homecoming made me cry. It's bitter-sweet. Girl Out of Water is a little more happy.It's not a sad book but it's really fun to read.

#2- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
 My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.Everything, Everything


This is my favorite realistic fiction that I read this year. I love how the writing style changes and I love the illustrations (you'll never see me say that again.)

#1- The Darkest Mind (1st) Never Fade (2nd) In the Afterlight (3rd)

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America’s children, but she and the others emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.


 
 

I absolutely LOVE these books!! It's my all time favorite series AND Alexandra Bracken is my favorite author! It was recommended to me by a... friend (?)... the same one who recommended And I Darken. I can't wait to read her new book series Passenger.
That's my top 5!
The rest of the 16 books (in descending order):

Replica by Lauren Oliver
The Glass Castle by Trisha White Priebe
Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton
The Winners Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski
Immortal Beloved Trilogy by Cate Tiernan
The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
The Last Changeling by Chelsea Pitcher
The Crown by Kiera Cass
The Healers Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
The Red Sun by Alane Adams
Harry Potter 1-4 by J.K Rowling


Can't wait to see what books are in store for me in 2017!




No comments:

Post a Comment