Friday, December 23, 2016

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

       Back of the book overview: My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

    But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

    Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.



Rating: 10 out of 10

   Where to even beginning with this book! It was fantastic. Although it was another realistic fiction (And those aren't my favorite) I can say that I was totally enraptured by this book. The plot line is fantastic. It's simple and fascinating. It wasn't as sad as I was expecting although I got close to tears a couple of times and I totally was not expecting that ending! The characters in this book are wonderful as well.

   The story is told in the point of view of a girl named Madeline Whittier. When she was little she was diagnosed with a disease called SCID. Basically it's a disease where your immune system doesn't work properly and anything (and everything) can make you sick. She grew up extremely sheltered and has never been outside of her house in her life  (after she was diagnosed). It's just her and her mom and her nurse Carla.
  
   Then Oliver (Olly) moves in right next to her. Olly is immediately portrayed as the bad boy type. Where's all black, disobeys his father... But then him and Maddy start emailing each other. You start to realize that Olly is a nice person but his fathers always drunk and a lot of the time is abusive which is the cause for all the fighting that happens.

   What I love about this book is that the chapters are short. You don't have to have a long attention span to read the book. The chapters range from one sentence to five pages. Often the set-up is different too. Some chapters are emails back and forth, one is done in a spiral pattern, some are schedules or charts or lists. There's pages in-between chapters where she gives a sentence summary of a book she read or she re-defines a word to fit what she's going through. I just love how it's different. I can 100 percent honestly say I've never read anything like it!
  
   The illustrations are also beautiful. I don't normally like a book with pictures but in this case the illustrations definitely helped the book come to life.
   If you haven't read this book you totally should. It's defiantly a must read.

My next review should be up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment