Saturday, June 3, 2017

ARC Review- Reunited (3rd in the Reawakened Trilogy) by Colleen Houck


After surviving her otherworldly adventure, Lily wakes up on her nana’s farm having forgotten everything. Her sun prince, her travels to Egypt, and her journey to the Afterlife are all distant memories.


But Lily is not the girl she once was. Her body is now part human, part lion, and part fairy. And if that isn’t bad enough, she must now harness this power of three and become Wasret: a goddess destined to defeat the evil god Seth once and for all.

With the help of her old friend Dr. Hassan, Lily departs on her final voyage through the cosmos and across the plains of Egypt. On the journey, she will transform into the being she is destined to become.

Reunited is the heart-pounding conclusion to the Reawakened series.

It is time for Lily to find her sunset. 

On Sale: August 8th 2017
Pre-order: Amazon
Huge thank you to the publisher, Delacorte Press, for sending me a review copy of this book.
My Review: No rating
The reason that I have no rating for this book is because a five star review isn't enough. This book is absolutely amazing and no review is able to adequately describe how much I love this book. That beng said I will try my hardest to portray it to my best ability.
I have written a review for the fist two books on here so this review will be based primarily on Reunited but I will talk about the other two books and therefore will contain spoilers for the previous books.
One thing I absolutely adore about this book is Lily, the protagonists, memory loss! Now typically I absolutely despise when a character looses their memory. It tend to get cliche really fast and it also get confusing at times. BUT it's the thing I loved most about this story, about Colleen Houck's books in general, is the way the memory loss is played. I can't stand books without romantic plot, they bug me so much, which is one reason I don't like memory loss in books is because there is typically very little romantic plot while the characters memory in gone. That's also why I don't like long separation in books. But Colleen Houck plays in off magnificently. While the main character and her love interest are separated for half the book they still meet in their dreams. Even though Lily doesn't remember Amon she still feels connected to him. Then there's the romantic plot with the other two girls that share Lily's body... Let's just say this book does not lack romantic plot like I feared it would.
Still sticking with the memory loss, I love the way (spoiler) Lily gets her memory back as well. It's not the cliche 'she gets her memory back and she knows who she really loves' kinda thing. She's still conflicted and she has to choose all over again who she really wants.
Okay, I could talk forever about romance and memory but I should probably move on. I really enjoyed how Colleen wrote the three girls and Wasret, the goddess they are supposed to become. It's really hard for me to describe because you really have to read it to understand. The first thing I liked was that each girl gets a voice. The book itself is mainly told through Lily's perspective but when one of the other girls takes control of her body they also (usually) take over the perspective as well. I love this because even though the main protagonist is Lily and everything started with her it's not just about her anymore. It's about these two girls who have given up a lot to help Lily.
The more difficult thing to explain though is Wasret, and I won't even try because spoilers and I don't think I will do an adaquet enough job. I will say that I love how Colleen brings Wasret into the picture. The way it's written is very clear to understand what's going on and it's very nicely described.
The plot line of the whole series, to me, is fascinating. I've always been a sucker for mythology. Ever since I read Percy Jackson all you have to say is that a book has mythology in it and I'm hooked. Though I have found that my favorite mythology books take the gods and make them vulnerable. It personifies them. Give's them human emotion and empathy. I think this book did that splendidly. The gods where shown as beings that could break, that could be destroyed, that could be saved. I think this book has done a better job at that then any other mythology book I've ever read (yes, that includes Percy Jackson.)
Honestly, Colleen Houck is probably my favorite author of all time- tied of course with Alexandra Bracken and Marie Lu (you can't possibly ask me to choose one favorite author!)- and if you haven't read one of her books you need to. I also love that Colleen Houck is a local author for me (I'm Oregon born and raised.)
This is a definite must read this summer!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I definitely have to check out this series (:
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of the series before now, but sounds interesting! Nice review and love the book cover. :D

    ReplyDelete