Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Long May She Reign by Rhiannon Thomas

Before I get into the book I want to tell you about the amazing shop I bought this book from. It's a small little indie shop in Seaside, Oregon.




It's called Beach Books and it's one of my favorite stops when I'm heading down to the beach. The YA section is small but amazing, up to date on all the latest titles with some older but amazing books thrown in.
Most of the time you can see a cat roaming around or (more often then not) lazily sleeping in the window. It's well organized and isn't over run with books. There's a lot of books but it's so neat that they aren't just cluttered everywhere. It's been around longer then I can remember and I wouldn't be surprised if it's older then me. If you ever visit Seaside this should defiantly be a stop you make.





Now on to the book.



Long May She Reign
Author: Rhiannon Thomas
Rating: 4.75
Synopsis: The Girl of Fire and Thorns meets The Queen of the Tearling in this thrilling fantasy standalone about one girl’s unexpected rise to power.

Freya was never meant be queen. Twenty third in line to the throne, she never dreamed of a life in the palace, and would much rather research in her laboratory than participate in the intrigues of court. However, when an extravagant banquet turns deadly and the king and those closest to him are poisoned, Freya suddenly finds herself on the throne.

Freya may have escaped the massacre, but she is far from safe. The nobles don’t respect her, her councillors want to control her, and with the mystery of who killed the king still unsolved, Freya knows that a single mistake could cost her the kingdom – and her life.

Freya is determined to survive, and that means uncovering the murderers herself. Until then, she can’t trust anyone. Not her advisors. Not the king’s dashing and enigmatic illegitimate son. Not even her own father, who always wanted the best for her, but also wanted more power for himself.
*****
As Freya’s enemies close in and her loyalties are tested, she must decide if she is ready to rule and, if so, how far she is willing to go to keep the crown.This book is captivating. It first caught my attention, not just because everyone keeps raving about it, but because of the stunning cover and synopsis. I'm absolutely thrilled I convinced my parent to buy it for me (I'm broke you guys.)
First let's start with plot. I loved the plot line of this book. It lacks in adventure but it defiantly compensates for it. The story carries you along with it and I found that I couldn't put it down. This book makes the emotion your own, makes you feel what the character feels and it's incredible.
It's defiantly a fantasy book but it doesn't have magic or mythical creatures, instead it has science. AND a girl who practices science. I love the emphasis the book puts on science. It helps them tremendously throughout the book and it's such a strong focal point.
Now knowing me I don't typically like a book with a bad romantic plot. A good romantic plot can be hard to make, it can't overwhelm the story but it cant be so far in the background that it's barely there. It's a matter of balance. And the author found a great balance within this book. The romance didn't dominate the book; it wasn't the main focal point of the story, but it was important to the story and wasn't super minimized.
The characters are fantastically well thought out. They not only fit the story but they also fit each other.
The main character is Freya. She's a scientist with a strong will and a knack for doing things her own way despite what everyone else says.
Then you have her best friend Naomi. She isn't a scientist; she's happy to just sit in a chair and read while Freya does her experiments.
Next you have William Fitzgerald; the King's bastard son. He acts like a rich, attention seeking, soiled rotten boy, but that's just on the surface. And if this book teaches you anything it's that what you see isn't all that's there.
There's other important characters but in little of not making this super long I'll leave it there.
This book is absolutely amazing and I would defiantly recommend this to fantasy lovers and people who love strong female leads.

Author
Twitter- @RhiannonKT
Instagram- @rhiannon.kt
Website-  www.rhiannonkthomas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment