Monday, February 27, 2017

Unfolding by Jonathan Friesen


Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Summery: Jonah wishes he could get the girl, but he’s an outcast and she’s the most perfect girl he knows.

And their futures seemed destined to fork apart: Jonah’s physical condition is debilitating, and epileptic seizures fill his life with frustration. Whereas Stormi is seemingly carefree, and navigates life by sensing things before they happen. And her most recent premonition is urging her to leave town.

When Stormi begs Jonah for help, he finds himself swept into a dark mystery his small town has been keeping for years. And the answers Stormi needs about her own past could possibly destroy everything Jonah has ever known—including his growing relationship with Stormi herself.


My review: Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this eARC.

I really enjoyed this book. The biggest thing for me though was that the beginning was really hard to understand. When the main character, Jonah, would have flashbacks it was really confusing when they started and when they ended. I almost didn't finish the book because I was so confused. I'm glad I did because it got easier to understand the more into the book I got.

Of course the entire book was confusing but in a good way. Things really came together at the end. It's one of those books where you're getting pieces of the puzzle but nothing connects until the end. And what a twist ending!

I really liked the characters. Especially the main protagonist, Jonah. Jonah suffers from scoliosis and epilepsy. Throughout the book he has many seizures and he's constancy teased because of them and his curved spine. His mom loves him so much but his dad seems to hate him. He calls himself a monster several times throughout the book. Basically he's a character that breaks your heart.

Then there's Stormie. I can't really figure her out. I love her but she's not as well developed as I would've liked. And defiantly not as developed as Jonah.

I did however feel like the book moved at a fast pace. It seemed to be one thing after another, a never ending slew of things. I didn't "connect to the book" like I usually do with books. And the ending left off at such a cliffhanger! I would totally read a second book but I don't know what the author would write the second book on... and if he's not writing another book an epilog would've been nice.

But I have my fingers crossed for a second book. Even though I had problems with the book I'm still intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment