Monday, November 28, 2016

The Homecoming by Stacie Ramey

They say you can never go home again-and John's about to find out just how true that is.
    John's mother kicked him out of the house when she couldn't handle his anger, and John's spent the last few years bouncing between relatives. But after his last scrape with the law, there's nowhere for him to go but home.
    Starting senior year at a new high school and fitting into the family that shut him out is a challenge. And it's all that John can do to keep from turning back to bad habits. Lacrosse helps him focus. As does Emily, the girl next door. She's sweet and smart- and makes him think his heart may finally be healing. Maybe he's ready to trust again. But tragedy has a way of finding John...and this time, it's more than just his future on the line.
    
  10 out of 10
 I have to be honest, realistic stuff isn't my favorite. I prefer fantasy, it gets me out of my own head, out of worldly problems. BUT I love this book.  This book caught my attention on NetGalley because the cover is absolutely gorgeous. I clicked on the book I loved the description.
   This book is filled with so many different things. Romance, suspense, family, hurt/comfort. This book hits on a lot of real subjects. Car accidents, mental illness, family issues, suicide, depression, drug and alcohol. It's definitely not a book for the faint of heart.
   One of my favorite things about this book is that even though it's a very deep emotional book, there's still happy moments. The author does a wonderful job of incorporating humor into this book. The characters are well developed, they all have backstories and a past that eat away at them. No one in the story is burden free.
   The entire story line is amazing. The author only gives you bits and pieces of information at a time until the end when all is revealed. It makes you crave more because you want to know what happened. I like to call that Using the Past to Pull You Into the Future. You want to know what happened in the past but the narator isn't going to tell you right away. It's one of my favorite tactics used by authors, but it also frusterates me because you have to keep waiting to know what happens/happened.
   This is definatly one of the best realistic novels I have ever read.
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment